Thursday, January 20, 2011

Milano

Yesterday we went on a "field trip" to Milan, Italy!  Living in the southern most tip of Switzerland, Italy is just a short train ride away.  When we arrived, we walked up the steps of the metro and into piazza where the Duomo stood.  It was unbelievable.  Unlike any of the architecture I have seen so far in Europe, which makes sense considering it took 6 centuries to complete.  It is the largest Gothic cathedral and the second largest Catholic cathedral in the world!

Julien arranged for a local friend to give us a tour around the city.  We went to see a few famous statues, a huge castle, and then stopped for lunch at the most delicious place.  They served hot donut like pockets stuffed with tomato sauce and cheese and another with spinach and ricotta....YUM.  It melted in my mouth...and then I got another.  We walked down all the streets and saw the most high class fashion stores.  Ash and I used the bathroom in Armani.  We passed Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Prada, Ferrari, Burberry, Versace, Marc Jacobs... no wonder it is called the "Fashion Capital of the World."

We split up and walked around for a little after, and a few of us found a dessert stand.  I tried a Nutella Crepe and the best gelato ever.  It was quite the experience ordering again.  I didn't know where to order, where to pay, where to eat after I had ordered and paid, and got told in Italian all of this not so nicely.  I'm still learning!  The boys got Heinekens and then we all met back up with the rest of the group.

Took a nice train ride home and called it a day!  I love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment